Saturday, February 1, 2014

Games are my Life.

So, unsurprisingly, games mean a lot to me. In college, I studied games, I now design games, and in my spare time, I either play games or write about them. If I look into it, its because I enjoy fun. Now, that's a strange statement to make, but I value fun incredibly highly. For me, as long as I'm having fun, it doesn't matter if I'm cold and hungry. Admittedly, being not-cold and not-hungry make it easier to have fun. However, I would rather be eating ramen and playing games than eating steak and working extra hours.

Of course, if work is fun, then I can have my steak and enjoy the rest of my life. Previously, I wasn't interested in creating my own company and being an independent game designer, but as time goes on, I become more interested in the idea. I enjoy the work associated with it, and it allows me to do what I love. It would strongly push my financial limits, particularly in the early days, but it would allow me the freedom to do what I enjoy.

Working on games, and their associated tasks is endlessly enjoyable for me. Every game is slightly different, and so each one produces new design challenges. Talking about games engages my brain in interesting ways, because they are far from solved systems. With Magic or League of Legends there are a huge number of strategies and combination of tools, so figuring out ideal tactics is a neverending puzzle that I can constantly make progress on.

My weekends consist of watching professional League (EU and NA LCS) and watching high level Magic (usually the SCG Legacy Open), while working on, writing about, or playing a game. All of this really reinforces the notion that games are important to me.

In playing these games, I've made friends who I've never met, particularly during my time playing World of Warcraft. I have friends who I've never seen, who's voices I can recognize from hundreds of hours of gaming together. What interests me, is that when I talked with them, my family and other people I have met in person, have denigrated my friendship. For some reason, they don't accept that I can be friends with people without seeing them, or that I can have a conversation with somebody without having met them in person. These same people don't accept eSports as a valid form of competition or entertainment.

I want to educate those who don't understand that with increasing globalization and communication tools, that entertainment and friendship can change as well. I know people who make their living from their bedroom, and others who would say their closest and best friends are those they met through the internet and have never met in real life.

To take a second to sound pretentious, the world is changing, and I understand (at least some of) what is happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment